I know I should work out,and I occasionally make plans to do so on a regular basis, but then I have days like yesterday.
|Water snake hiding under rock.|
Yesterday I spent the day working on the barn lot crossing. I spent five hours on the tractor moving dirt. I got the culvert into place then braced it with rocks at the base and then slowly started piling dirt up from the right side. Every few loads of dirt I would drive the tractor out onto the pile and compact it down. I had to keep getting off the tractor and piling up rocks on the side to keep the dirt in the correct spot. I eventually ran out of rocks to pile next to the dirt. I did managed to finally get enough dirt into the middle that I could drive to the other side! I need to put on my rubber boots and wade out into the water and get those rocks upstream. I also have a few loose rocks over in my sheep compost pile that can go over here. After that I will have to go onto the back hillside and start picking rocks. I figure another three days just to get this finished. Once it is done I will dig out the stream and add some gravel to the bank to fill in the low spot. We will be able to drive across the culvert and avoid all water crossings. It will make the stream that much better. I found a few friends as I was relocating rocks.
The horses are going to love it as they will not have to get their feet wet to cross the stream any more. I had another chicken die, a teenage buff orpington. I do not know why that breed and why that age group is dying off. It makes no sense.
I called around today looking for used railroad ties to make the new cow corral. There are none to be had in Pendleton. I found some in Hermiston at Payless lumber for $16/each, an entire semi truck load. I am going over on Tuesday to pickup at least 30. I need 30 for the corral and about 15 more for fencing. It is painful but if I don’t do it know I might not get another shot at it till the end of summer. I am also looking into renting a backhoe for a day to finish the irrigation pond. I broke the earthen dam and flooded the pit I was working on so there is no other recourse.
|Clear coat, two layers done.|
This morning the dogs went out with me to let the sheep out of the ram pasture. Sprout now thinks he needs to go out with Zeke and I every morning. I let him as he needs the exercise. There were only ten sheep in the correct pasture. The back creek is low enough that most of the sheep were able to cross under the fence near the creek without getting their feet wet. I lowered the panels on both ends of the pasture. Zeke chased the leftover sheep out of the ram pasture. We are still working on the command “to me”. I want him to bring the sheep toward me and he wants to leave the sheep and come to me himself. This causes confusion and swearing for both parties. He did it correctly in the end. We just need to keep working on it.
I put the clear coat on the oven cabinets today. I purchased a water based satin polyurethane after looking at all the choices. I still like the wax idea but after reading about it, I decided against it. The finish is not very durable and needs to be redone on a fairly regular basis. It can also collect dust. I recoated the shelves after an hour. I used the whole quart on the cabinet.
There was still time to go out and dig on the ditch. I thought I would just move the large dirt pile and then I could get back into the ditch. It did not happen the way I thought it would. It took me 2.25 hours to dig down the whole dirt pile and spread it out. It just kept going and going, I never thought I would make it through. Once it was done, I checked the time and said enough.
There are still 2 out 12 chicks alive at my parent’s house. They look great and are very healthy. Now the only thing left to do in the kitchen is to plumb the downdraft exhaust. I still have not finished cutting out the floor hole.
Zeke had to hang out near my work area. He tried to sneak off once, but digging is not enough of a distraction to give him the time he needs to disappear. By the end of the two hours he was content to hang out, sleep and watch me work. I am saving the water side for last.
We used 864 gallons of propane last year to heat and cook in our house. This was a drop from previous years. If this trend continues with our new freestanding propane stove in the dining room I think it will pay for itself in five years. The savings in propane is amazing.