Month: August 2014
Barn roof day 5.
|PGG going out of business sale.|
It is happening. The barn roof is going to get finished. I crawled up onto the roof today and installed the pressure treated wooden anchor pieces. Took a bunch of measurements and then Mr. President and I went into the barn and started cutting OSB. We measured and cut out the four sides. Then we started to add the 2×4 reinforcements. I only had to crawl back onto the roof two more times to take measurements I did not know I needed. Once that was done I considered mounting it on the roof and hollering down measurements for the siding. The last cupola took 40 hours to install and I don’t want to repeat that. So we are cutting the siding and fitting it in place. The entire first layer is on and we are going to do the second layer first thing in the morning. They are all numbered and layered so I can put it back on once the cupola shell is installed on the roof. I am hoping to be done tomorrow!
One of our local feed and farm supply stores is going out of business. I managed to get two more gates and 100 T-posts, the last five bags of chicken layer crumbles, five bags of wheat and the two barrels of protein supplement for the cows. The one barrel of protein supplement was the only thing I was sent to purchase. The gates were selling fast I don’t think any made it past Monday. I have enough fencing supplies for next year except 8 railroad ties. That is the only thing left. I may get the barn roof done early and I have to install the cow fence over by the barn to make sorting easier and I want to install a small gate down in the lower pasture so we can let the animals down into the school house pasture next year. I still have to fix school house pasture but the small gate will make it easier to move the animals. Just a few more projects in the making.
Barn work would be nice.
We then went and worked on fence. I had walked the fence line and below Donna’s house and found the creek crossing had been bent back by the bull. Also, it looked like someone had been testing the fence all along the wheat field. It was loose and bent in multiple locations. I know the bull never got into the wheat field. So we spent several hours tightening fence, installing some new T-posts and several wooden stays. We also rearranged the panels over the creek and clipped them to the T-posts down next to the creek. The fence looks much better now and the bull has not escaped since. We went on vacation over the weekend so there was NO farm work done.
Barn inside work.
We left the bull in the back barn lot with free access to water and fed him a bale of hay. That way he would be ready for the butcher. Annmarie was going to be out of town and I was working so he needed to be easily accessible. I happened to be there when the butcher came so I got to see him at work. He is so fast! The bull carcass looked really good at 13 months old and they called me later that day to say his carcass weight was 340 pounds, or half a normal beef carcass. Exactly what we want, HALF! The butcher kept out the tail, heart, liver, kidneys, and tongue for a friend who feeds their dogs an all natural diet. Glad it can get used.
I was out smoothing our driveway with the tractor when the semi truck delivery showed up with our sheep sorting chutes. I helped with the tractor and it took about three minutes to get the load off the truck. It had to sit out in the driveway for a week until I could get some free time, Mr. President could not unload some of the panels so it had to wait until today so I could help.
Wheat harvest was done last week. It was the first year out of CRP and I was told the nitrogen load test was zero. The club wheat only yielded 20 bushels/acre but it was not good around here in general. So hopefully, next year will be better.
|Sheep sorting chute.|