On a plus side, we have a bird building a nest just outside the kitchen window. It started today. We are still trying to figure out what kind of bird. It is not one we recognize.
Month: May 2015
|Old corral torn down.|
The corral project started yesterday. Phil is helping me so I don’t take two months. We started by tearing down the old one and removing all the posts. The little four inch round posts were rotted off. We noticed that the posts were not buried very deep. Once everything was cleared away I started to drag the area flat with my tractor. This went well except I drive forward and look behind to watch the box blade so I drag an even depth. I ran over the gas weedeater! I crushed the plastic fuel tank. Now I need to get the weed eater to a repair person. So much for using the weed eater around the house.
Fence work progressing.
A couple of my coworkers came out to the house to help me do some work and spend time visiting. My father just died this week and they are being good friends. Without the tractor the available jobs has diminished so we worked on installing a gate between the orchard and the ram pasture. It just had a cut piece of cow panel with three clips on one side and an old rusty chain on the other. Not very sturdy or easy to open in any semblance of short time. When we were throwing the railroad ties into the pickup I remembered to add in a piece of cow panel that had been formed into a circle. We could use it around the rose bush on the back hillside. The sheep keep pushing in on my loose fence and eating whatever they can reach. I had Carmel go wrestle the old wire off and put the wire cage around the bushes. By the time she came back over she had a nice big hickey on the right side of her neck. She blamed it on the rose bush getting amorous. The weather was just starting to roll in as we finished up. It started raining so hard I actually felt sorry for the horses and turned them loose in the barn lot. This lets them get into the old lambing shed. The water was running into the lambing shed because I have lowered the dirt in front of it. I had to go out into the rain and dig a small trench to divert the water away from the barn. Once the animals were taken care of I went and picked up my mistress! She is on the trailer ready to work! Now if only the weather will cooperatae.
Sheep sorted, edible and nonedible.
|Rob hard at work.|
I got some work done on the farm today despite still having a broken tractor. The welders have not given it a try yet. I don’t expect miracles or a thing of beauty, but it is going to be very expensive to fix the part with a new one! A repair that holds would be fantastic. Rob came out to see me and spend the day on the farm. We needed to work the sheep but first thing the horses greeted us. Rob didn’t seem that comfortable around them. We tried to tell who was who and who belonged to whom in the sheep herd with them behind the barn. It was not possible. We simply could not get close enough.
So everyone got chased into the barn and we started trying to read ear tags on who belonged to whom. Annmarie wanted the ram separated out. We are trying to get the ewes back in estrus at the same time. This having babies over a 2-3 month period is getting old especially in the summer where we don’t pay as close of attention to them. We pushed the sheep to the end of the barn and tried to use the chute system. The sheep did not want to run down the chute! 2.5 hours later we had all the babies tagged, banded and two herds of sheep sorted and settled in their new homes. All the boys and the ram went in with the alpacas.. The ram was tearing around the place with multiple laps before we could get him to join the meat wagon. We now have an edible herd and nonedible herd. I will get Annmarie to update the spreadsheet so we can get accurate ages on the edible group.
Rob and I worked on the new drainage ditch for the old lean-to rain runoff ditch. There is a rock ledge just this side of the barn and we had to finish breaking up a three foot solid rock section. It took about an hour and the breaker bar was not as helpful as the pick axe. Just ask Rob who got schooled on the pick axe use. I put in a call to Annmarie to see if she wanted the barn door fixed first or the large hole in the fence by the back creek. The sheep broke an old original post. She decided on the fence first but it was a very long pause. We dug a new hole after ripping the old fence down and then put the old fence. It looks very good and the sheep cannot get through it after I add three more clips over the water. I am hoping to get a new gate installed over there tomorrow. That would be very nice.