The chickens have finally figured out if they want some really good eating they need to go into the barn and scavenge whatever the sheep drop or don’t eat. It has taken them all winter to figure this out. They used to go just to the entrance of the barn and eat all around the barn but would never venture inside. They are now over that fear. As long as they don’t start laying eggs in the barn I don’t mind them going over and cleaning up the scraps. If you are not expecting it when you go into the barn it will give you a shock.
I have some help coming this summer, Mr Rainman is going to help me out occasionally so I have just started getting things ready so he can do odds and ends while I am at work. The first project was to get the sprayer up and running again. Which meant getting it off the now defunct side by side. I had to get all the straps loosened then use the sawzall to cut up the wooden supports. I rolled the side by side forward in the machine shed then managed to wrestle it off the back onto the ground then drag it over to the tractor. I had added some bar stock to lower the sprayer heads 18” due to the height of the side by side bed but now that it is on the tractor the three point can be adjusted to whatever height is necessary. This meant I had to remove them and put the spray bar back onto the it’s old location. I will save those extensions in case I need them later. The sprayer has it’s own bin of parts so they will just live in the bin. I had to watch a couple of You Tube videos and find the online manual to figure out where the spare 12v connection was on the new Kubota tractor. It’s in the left tire well and it has some weird shaped plug that I do not have. I drilled a hole in the fender and was able to put knife connectors on and plug them in. I used the spare wire parts I had from the last two electrical conversions I did trying to get the sprayer to work on the side by side. I then even made a dead head to plug into the 12v plug so it stays clean and dry when not in use. I may even figure out how to wire in a USB port that just plugs in when the sprayer is not in use. I would need one with rubber ports so it didn’t get wet or full of dust/dirt. Yeah, I did some research for $11 I can get a USB Motorcycle charger that uses the same plug as my sprayer so I can plug in the USB once I am done spraying, even better! I got the sprayer all put together with a couple of new washers. I still need two new clamps but no one has 1” clamps locally only 1.25” so I had to order them. I just used metal wire to hold them in place for now until the correct clamps come. The sprayer is all ready to go!
The next big project is to rewire the horse trailer. I keep blowing fuses in the pickup and I am sure it’s due to a short in the trailers, both the horse and flatbed. Last year I bought all of the parts to install all new lights in the horse trailer. The parts sat around for a year as it was not a priority. I opened the bag and tossed all of the parts onto the trailer in their respective needed locations. Yep, I needed a few more parts! So one more trip to the store and I had all of the “needed” parts to rewire the trailer. I opted to redo the entire trailer and not use any old wire. When I was under the trailer I noticed that they had ran wire under the boards and I found a section squished and the insulation worn off. After watching a couple of short (2 minutes or less) You Tube videos I just looked for a picture wiring diagram and just wired in the six strand wire plug. My six wire did not have the common color white! So I had to turn the white into a yellow then that meant I had to change the left turn signal color. Basically, I am going to take a picture of the color scheme before I am done so I will know it. I ended up drilling a few holes to reroute the wires above the trailer. This way nothing runs under the trailer unless it is protected in a tube. I also need to grind down the grounding spots so I can get a good ground. Once I am completed I will hit them with a little spray paint to protect the metal. I am using the old wire to help me pull the new wires. I was able to pull about 50% of the needed wire today. I don’t have to drill any more holes as I got those done today. I almost knocked myself unconscious today. I was exiting the trailer and only had the slider door open. I forgot about the overhead rail and the door is only about five feet high. I ducked down and dove outside, I had to pee, and smashed the top of my head on the overhead bar. I ended up laying on the ground for a few minutes marveling that I did not knock myself unconscious. I also did not pee my pants! I came in early due to a headache. I was wearing a bandana and a hat at the time of the incident and still had about a three inch raspberry with a cut on the top of my head hours later. I am getting a small goose egg on top of my head now. The wife thinks I need to start wearing a hard hat. I told her I am going to have to start wearing a cowboy hat even if I don’t want too. It would not sit directly on my head so when I ran it into things the hat would have some give hopefully preventing injury to my noggin. The trailer has to be functional and wired in two weeks.