The young man arrived via “his mother’s horseless carriage with her as the chauffeur”. He is a young padawan and his mother is hoping he molds into a productive member of society. We went out to the barn to clear out the old milking wooden floor. I supplied the work gloves but he wore blue jeans and tennis shoes. I was amazed he never stepped on a nail, but his mother is a nurse so I figured his vaccinations were up to date. We ripped out the floor and stacked all the spare wood from the room onto the top of the horse hay room overhang. I had to install some wooden brackets so we could make the stack higher. At one point I misstepped and ended up falling four feet after sliding down the straw stack. The young palawan tried to catch me but just managed to touch my arm on my decent to the wooden floor. I managed to turn to my side so I didn’t land flat on my back. Not one of my smoother moves but fairly typical. I also managed to not hit my head! My beautiful bald head seems to attract a lot of wear and tear. The milking area needs to be dug out but before I can do that I need to put an end piece on so I don’t push the dirt under the last little bit of flooring we left. The flooring is so you can walk out and feed the horses easily. The padawan ripped out an entire inside leg seam on his jeans fairly early in the work process. He kept after it, at one point I asked him what his older brother had told him about coming to the farm. He said he cackled and stated “YOU are going to WORK!”. We got a lot done in a few hours. I was very pleased.
Month: October 2016
I can smell high speed internet
Just when I think the farm cannot surprise me something else does. I was in the rafters of the machine shop installing the anchors and there are several pieces of loose wood in the rafters. One of them kept drawing my attention. The board was very long, wide and curved on either side with a flat bottom with these tiny pieces stapled in even intervals. I had to stare at it for three days before it dawned on me it was the old stair rail top from the farmhouse! Had I known it was there I would have used it when we rebuilt the stairs. I had no idea it was even there.
We have sheep babies everywhere! The first batch has been tagged and banded and now there is a second batch in the baby area that are ready to go. This weekend we will tag and band all of them and get ready for the next wave. Annmarie made a program to track them on our iPhones and it is super fast, super easy and super quick.
The horse, Mika had to have some hoof thing cut out and filled with plaster by the vet. Its sad that all that on a horse cost less than an overnight spay on the family dog. It was very affordable. So now we have to work on keeping Mika’s foot dry, this has necessitated the need for me to start cleaning out the old milk shed area of the barn. I had been storing all the old lumber there. I will need a different spot now. So tomorrow we will be moving the wood out and then cutting up the old floor and storing it for reuse! I will need to make a new handrail to keep the horses out of the barn. I just plan on reusing all the old wood from the floor. I have several small metal gates so I am going to see if I can get two of them to use as new doors. We have a metal panel bungied across the opening. It is not the best setup, but is currently working for us.