Yesterday I finished up the large countertop. I got an epoxy grout for the countertops, it sucks and it took me all day to scrape the tiles clean with a razor blade. A day spent cleaning is far nicer than the week I had initially predicted but I did end up with some sore fingers from holding the razor blade. It is very slow and detailed work to get the tiles perfectly clean.
I decided a work out was still in order so Zeke and I went outside so I could work on the rock wall. I started dragging rocks from my stash up on the hill in one of the wheelbarrows hiding behind the wood shed. The tire lasted three trips before going flat. I had to start carrying the large rocks by hand, but since I was doing this for the exercise, that was okay. It just means my rock wall progress is going to be super slow. I need more dirt to go behind the rocks. So basically, I need a few days off of work, off of the kitchen and nice and warm so I can drag the tractor onto the back hillside and do some road work so I can get some more dirt for the rock wall. Since, I have not installed the downdraft fan in the kitchen yet, I don’t see my free time opening up any time soon. I will continue to dig the starting flat platform all across the hillside both upper and lower walls. No rocks or dirt required and the weather has thawed out the ground enough to make this possible. I went and collected eggs from the coop. I had not gotten them in a couple of days. There is one of buff orpington chicken that has gone broody. The problem is she does not lay any eggs and is so dumb that she doesn’t check the nest to see if there are any eggs in it. There are no eggs, not even a wooden one! I toss her out with the other chickens and she won’t even stand up. She just sits on the ground clucking. I did not bring an egg container so I used my ball cap to collect eggs in. Unfortunately, when shutting the external coop door I dropped and broke one on the ground. Once inside the house I tried to put the ball cap on the washing machine and another egg rolled out onto the tile floor. Two down and out! I don’t count them until they are cleaned so my mishandling lowers the chickens production rate. I try not to drop them.