It is very hard to believe that this is the end of January. The weather has been incredibly mild. In the last 28 days we have gotten just over 4” of rain. We usually get 12” annually. The ground is so saturated that if you look out in this field, all the little brown spots are worm mounds from them surfacing to avoid drowning, that is a lot of worms! This is prime fencing weather but since I am supposed to be inside the house doing home improvement projects I don’t get to go outside and fence all winter long. Being able to fence all winter long is not a problem that normally occurs.
I have been working on the upstairs bathroom. I have the closet almost roughed in and finish wood on the walls. I still need to build one stem wall and a frame for the closet door. I am going to hold off on the rest of the closet build until I get the floor tile installed. I can do that while we are waiting on the plumber to come in and install the sink and toilet.
I was super stoked that I managed to get the closet floor cut and installed on the first try only using a tape measure and square to draw out the pattern on plywood. It just needed some judicious use of nylon hammer to get it into place. I am all ready to start installing the Hardiboard on the floor. Once that is in I can start painting the Red Guard on to create a waterproof barrier to set the tile on top of preventing any toilet water from ending up in the downstairs ceiling. Barring no complications I should have the Hardiboard down and the Red Guard done over the weekend and will be able to start laying tile next weekend. I am hoping to lay all of the floor tile in one setting. Once it has cured for 24 hours I will come back and put the floor trim tile up on the wall. I am not going to use pool tile grout this time. I am using an epoxy base but it’s not quite as sticky as the stuff I used last year. When I was talking to the tile shop I was told I should only have done about three square feet of grout at a time so I could clean it all up quickly. I am pretty sure we did about six square feet of grout at a time and it was painful. I am still cleaning up grout in some low traffic areas a year later.
Zeke is figuring out how to get out of the front yard again. He was jumping at the lower wire strand to make it loose so he could crawl under it but he has figured out how to get out without doing that now. I am going to drill through the 4×4 posts and string another wire through the posts and see if that keeps him in. It is crazy how hard it is to keep him in the yard. Mouse hardly leaves even if he front gate is left open!
My baby pullets just started to lay this week! Instead of getting three eggs a week we have gotten two dozen in the last four days. Our egg customers will be happy to get eggs as we were not selling any.
We did have another single lamb born this morning. Annmarie and I think the ram got tired when he was doing his job this summer. It’s like he had to save up energy before he could rush in for a few days then take a break to build up more energy, he is no Energize bunny. We are seriously considering a second ram to cause some competition between the two rams.
- Total lambs born (dead or alive): 28
- # of singles: 5
- # of twins: 7
- # of triplets: 3
- Stillborn lambs: 1
- # died without a tag: 4
- # bummered: 3
- # ewes delivered: 15
- # lambs alive on property: 20
- Birth rate (alive & dead included): 187% (goal>150%)
- Ewe productivity after 1 week (live lambs on farm): 140% (goal >125%)
- Lamb success (live lambs on farm after 1 week): 71% (max 100%)