I keep wanting to be more timely with the blog. I am learning that after working all day on the farm I am tired and don’t have the gumption to sit down and write. Also, Annmarie tells me when I do write something at that time it is very dry and factual because I am too tired to be animated. I actually agree with this statement so I have taken to making notes so I can remember what was accomplished and can sit down and write it all out when I am not exhausted. I had to work at the paying job on last Friday so the only thing I managed to accomplish was ordering the extra battery cable and a charging control switch so I can mount a large marine battery under the driver’s seat of the side by side and run two batteries. I already have the trickle charger on it and we just purchased another new battery as the other new one was destroyed and would not hold a charge any longer.
Saturday morning Annmarie wanted to go up and check on the cows. She swore that the green tag cow was bursting at the seams pregnant. We went up first thing in the side by side. The side by side needs a tuneup bad! The new battery is nice and the second battery will be nicer. The far upper gate was off its hinge and open. The cows were all still in the correct field but Annmarie was convinced the cow had a calf. We drove back and forth over the entire upper field to make sure there was no calf. I do not believe she was pregnant but sometimes its just better to listen and do what the wife wants. This is not a common theme in our marriage so it is something I am working on.
There was no calf. I went to town after that and picked up tools, yard hoses and an electric mower. We are also now watering our yard so I fired those up before I left for Pendleton. While I was in Pendleton I priced a new calf table for a paltry $1650!
I came back and cleaned out the baby area in the chicken coop. I had friend want to give me straight run 3 week old chickens but they needed a home. So I dug it out and refilled it with pellets, wood chips, food and water. I called my buddy and told him he could drop them off in the coop at any time now that it was setup.
I took the tractor and drove the few miles down back roads to pickup the manure spreader! I know it needs some work but the price was great and all but the top piece spun around. After I got it home I started in on the bolts and grease zirks with an all wire brush and some W-D-40 attempting to get the 40 years worth of buildup off. It’s going to take a few days and a couple of cans of W-D-40 to get the fenders off and hopefully all the parts moving! I may have to weld in one piece of angle iron at the base of the machine on each side to accommodate the chain. It needs more cleanup and some more W-D-40 to get a couple more bearings free. All of this is to be expected for the fixer upper price I paid for it. It will probably cost me about $500 to get it up and running. I have been looking for a manure spreader for years. Everyone that has been getting composted manure from the barn lot pile is going to be disappointed. I will only be letting the manure sit for one winter then spreading it out the next year. I am hoping this can prevent me from having to purchase fertilizer.