I was hoping to finish the barn roof today. Mother Nature had other plans. The wind was just starting to blow when I crawled up on the roof. I managed to get the back side flashing attached but when Mr. President tried to get the first sheet up he started blowing sideways on the ground. There was no way we were going to get the roofing up the ladder.
I had to crawl off the roof. My hopes for finishing today crushed. We went inside the barn and started to clean up and put tools and supplies away. I cut a new lid for the grain storage bin and wrapped tin around the hole in the lid to keep the rodents away from the grain. I still need to put a hinge on the new lid and a latch. I don’t think the raccoons will slide down a dark one way hole but you never know. This is a winter project. I looked for a hinge laying around but did not find one in the old house. I did find a locking latch that would work.
Gary from work came out and he was pulling nails from old boards in the unused hay area. It has a hole cut in the side of the barn to allow light in that we had covered with a rug to keep the rain off the hay. I mentioned it needed a window. The conversation just kind of took off and I went and found a window from my stash that would fit. It was a brand new vinyl window I picked up at a yard sale for $25. As an added bonus, it is frosted so I will not have to make a curtain on the inside to keep the sunlight off the hay. We got it installed and framed out on the outside. I covered the inside with a piece of cow panel so we can stack hay up next to the window and not worry about breaking the window. It even slides open in case we need the ventilation. I am really hoping the weather cooperates tomorrow.
|Foiled by the wind!|
|Side Window installed.|