It’s spring time and we are still trying to clean up from last year. This is the field I tried to burn last fall and just could not get the fire to drive through the weeds. It got mowed down and I wanted to plant right through the weeds but there is too much biomass on the ground. So we ended up pushing up piles of weeds by skimming the ground with the tractor bucket. Once those piles were made they were so dry you could light them with a lighter and nothing else. Two days of burning has cleared off a lot of weeds. The wind has been kind enough to blow and making the fire spread as needed.
I bought spring barley on Friday and want to get it in the ground this week. It is supposed to rain on Wednesday and I would like to have the seed in the ground by then. I have a small 1/2 acre plot that we saved for peas. We sprayed every field but that one so that the 2-4-D won’t affect the peas.
I have another set of helpers out and set them to hardening the spring bank. I only finished one side last fall. Now both sides are blocked in and it should stop the dirt bank from falling into the spring. We also lined the bottom of the spring with gravel in that area. The sheep would know this if they would quit trying to jump over the water. This did require the teenage helper to redo the wall three times to get it where it needed to be.
I have been working on my sheep calling abilities. I have managed to post a couple of successful videos to Instagram. The key to success is in choosing the right time to call them. They are used to coming in at night for food and to be locked up in the barn area. I have had zero luck trying to call them down off the hillside midday. But if they can hear me in the evening they will come running.
We sold three more lambs off this weekend to someone who is going to raise them all summer long. We sent our old brown ewe and her 3 month baby over with the lambs so they could try and hand tame the lambs. Our old ewe will come to anyone who she thinks has food. We also do not want her getting bred when we release the ram into the main herd. I spent last night on the tractor for 4 hours driving around in circles pulling a disc trying to get the flooded out field from last year ready for spring barley crop. The ground was full of ruts from the back creek flooding the field and making rivulets. I hope I got most of them smoothed out. We are hoping to get the seed in the ground tonight as it is supposed to rain 0.1-0.25” tomorrow and the hope is the seed will all be in the ground by then. One must have goals in life.