I have been getting help on the farm from Mr Experience. We are trying to get the fields ready and planted for spring barley and its getting late. I am not sure if we are going to make it but we only have about one week left or it will never fly. I spent Thursday working on the bathroom a little and playing catch up.
We made a trade last fall some electric netting fence for some fruit, flower and herb starts. Well the fence was handed out in the fall and I kinda knew the starts were coming but had managed to delay them a couple of weeks. They showed up Friday morning. I had already started on the area, got different help to rough in the fence and posts and I had raked the entire area by hand to make it very pretty! Now I had a bunch of plants that needed to go in the ground. This is a blessing and a curse, as I only have a couple of days to get them all in the ground. One cannot simply just start digging holes as there are a bunch of berry plants and other various edibles. So I made measurements and Annmarie and I kinda laid it out. I painted marks on the ground and started digging. I spent all day Friday and managed to get the cane raspberries, blackberries, bush raspberries, clove currants, and Nanking cherries planted and watered in the orchard garden. We planned for 40 feet of blackberries and raspberries but only planted 10 feet of blackberries and 15 feet of raspberries. We plotted out the Lavender area in the orchard garden and have 80 of those plants to pickup soon. I ordered plant cover cloth, drip system parts and 28 cubic feet of colored rubber recycled tire chips and those should be here the first week of May. Once I have all the supplies here we will lay it all out and start cutting holes for the plants. The garden fence priority is moving up the work list quickly. I just kicked all the animals out of th orchard so no one would eat our new plants.
I had just enough time in the rain to go over to the rock garden and kill all the thistles and stinging nettle before dark. I was tired and needed a shower, I have gotten so used to the stinging nettle it does not bother me much anymore. We still had 4 acres to disk in the upper field but it had rained and I was afraid that the little tractor would not be handle the moisture. So I called and borrowed a tractor from a friend.
The plants perked right up with some soil and a lot of water! Always nice to see them come back after getting stressed in the move.
This plan went together pretty smoothly on paper. Annmarie is going to plot them out on the computer so we can remember all the different plant names. There is no way I am going to remember them without some type of reminder.
Saturday morning she tried to draft out the plan on a computer and my measurements were not quite up to the mark. I did some ball parking on the numbers and that made the electronic version a lot harder to put together. I vowed to do better with the rock garden and brought a couple of pieces of paper out with me to jam into my pocket and ensure I measured everything. Did I mention that it started to rain? The soil on one half is mostly clay and I had to hand water everything from the spring? It was not very pleasant getting everything into the ground. This time I planted six Seaberry trees with two more male trees, three more clove currant bushes, two autumn olives, two Josta berry bushes, a honeysuckle plant two Artemis, two Agastache purple haze, four sunflower (perennial), five echinacea, a five foot section of Iris tubers and a few odds and ends that I did not write down but did plant in amongst the rocks and down by the water. I took lots of measurements this time!! It still did not quite work out on the computer as expected. But it’s close enough!!
Once Annmarie gets the plans all spiffy and neat on the computer I will post that. I have some wild flower seed I need to spread out amongst the rocks also but I need to get the sprinkler working first before I plant them.