I started Saturday morning by going out to the freezer to get butter, we were out and I had said I was going to do that the day before. More importantly, one of the horses was laying down in the ram pasture, I walked out and she let me pet her while she stayed laying down. Most of the time the horses will not allow this, they stand when you approach them. I did get the butter this time! I had a slow start, had breakfast with my mother at our house and then headed out to work on fencing. I need to get the animals off of the fields. As I was headed out to the fields I stopped at the culvert and scooped out most of the gravel from the back of the pickup. This lightened the pickup and the culvert crossing needed it. I like to do little parts at a time on projects, some would even say I flit from project to project but it works if you keep after it. Unfortunately its not very timely.
I ended up pulling most of the T posts from the first section of fence, splicing in an old section and then tightening the whole thing. This sounds fairly straightforward, but I had to remove all the clips from the broken T-posts and pull them out of the ground by hand. I finally got it all up and then decided to stretch a single row of smooth wire on the top. The horses keep leaning over the fence and bending the woven wire I am hoping the top strand will stop that or at least lessen its impact. I then installed cable and a 16’ brake away section to the middle of the fence. If it floods again I want the fence to give! I went over to the front spring and worked on tightening H braces and putting in cross boards. I was going to reuse the old fence but I was going to have to splice in 2-3 sections and it is just not worth the time necessary to accomplish the task, I will use all new. While I was working on that I decided that the ditch needed to be dug out as it still has flood mud and cut grass piled up in it. I stepped down and the bottom of the ditch was firm. I just need to drive the tractor into the ditch and I can reach up with my fancy new manure fork and get the junk away from the fence. I went down to the machine shed and put the box blade on the tractor then went in for dinner. I had a plan and after dinner it would be executed.