Yesterday I got a late start and started mowing the fields at 0630. I had plans to get out of bed at 0500 but that just did not happen. I needed to mow the bottom four fields as they were getting covered in cheat grass and weeds. The fields do better with a mow job. I will spray them in a week or two. I have a new seat for the tractor but I keep losing the bolts out of it. I have lost two already. I need some lock tight to go on the threads.
The cows were hanging out by the school house and since I was on the tractor they just ignored me. This allowed me to get a good picture and discover that Annmarie was right we do have new calves! I found a second brand new calf. So fairly soon we will need to run the cows back into the barn lot and tag and band. I did not check to see whether they were a boy or girl. I stopped around 1000 to load up 2.5 yards of prime sheep poop compost for a friend. They left some fresh blueberries and an amazing sour raspberry jam. The jam is so good I will need to get the recipe. I managed to go all day until 1600 mowing without overheating the tractor!
I attribute this to two things, first thing was I blew all of the dust out of the radiator, inside engine compartment and even opened up the dust filter and cleaned off both filters. The second thing was I figured out how to get the mower to ride parallel to the ground by lowering the back wheel allowing the cut grass to get out of the mower blades and not bogging the tractor down. This allowed me to go all day without killing the tractor once.
I finished mowing around the machine shed today and then spent 45 minutes cleaning off the dust and weeds from the tractor and mower with water. I want to finish pulling out the old flooded fence in the barn lot tomorrow. I will need the box blade put on so it adds weight to the back of the tractor giving me the necessary traction.
I also spent another 45 minutes cleaning out the back of the pickup with water so it is neat. Annmarie wants me to pick up the antique rocker we purchased a couple of months ago and I need a clean bed for that to happen. The real challenge will be keeping the pickup clean until then.
The manure trade involved a young 3 month old rooster residing at our place. He was running around with the hens yesterday. I have not seen him at all today. I am not sure he survived the night. He probably did not go into the coop last night and is raccoon food. I have another coworker who is looking to get rid of a couple of roosters, it may be time to give her a call. The predator wars are definitely back on!
I have started clearing the lavender area again with a shovel. It takes longer than I realize every time. I spent three hours on it today and it needs another three hours. Unfortunately, I did not water all the little plants consistently and there is some significant lavender die off. I am back to watering every other day and we should know in a week how many actually survived. This is totally my fault for not watering them more frequently.