Since I was stuck home due to the quarantine and felt great finally, I decided to get some more farm work done. The upper three fields need to be cut so they can be turned into hay. The Upper Prime Squared field is going on its third year as a grass field and it looks great! It is the best field we have and one I am aspiring to get the others to duplicate. So I opted to start on it. The real problem is it is still covered in some flood damage and I was unable to get it all cleaned up. When I was using the sickle bar to cut the hay I kept running into the dirt/grass piles and it did not like this. I had broken all three of my spare bolts when I realized I had only managed to cut 2/3 of the first field. I spent an hour on the phone with the micro hay equipment company. They did not have any of the needed bolts or parts. The arm that had some cracked bearing casings had to come from Italy. He did not know of anyone else that had broken theirs in the past so it was not on hand in the parts warehouse. He is supposed to be getting me a quote from the Italian company. I am starting to get desperate enough to look on Italian websites for the company and purchase my own spare parts cabinet. I am just trying to figure out how to do it. This may come as a necessary evil. If anyone knows someone who can read Italian and knows about micro hay equipment, give me a holler.
So I am still on the hunt for 3-4 metal cabinets, one for herbicides, one for oil products, two for spare parts for the haying equipment. I need to get organized. I could not cut any more hay so I developed a plan for Annmarie to pick me up some bolts and nuts that I can weld a slant onto then grind them to some semblance of a cone. Mind you I only have access to a wire fed welder and I never got to practice with a wire fed in my welding class, that was the next class. Of course that night it rained 3/100 of an inch, me cutting hay so far this year has 100% rain predictability.
On Friday, I spent two hours welding and I use that term very loosely an approximation of a cone. On half of them I welded directly next to bolt head and on the other half I sandwiched two bolt heads together and welded a small bead around the second nut. I then ground all eight down to form a cone. To get it to fit inside the hole I had to take some of the protective pieces off of the sickle bar. I then had to figure out how to use an easy out to remove the broken bolt. This went on and on and on for a total of seven hours before I finally got it all back together. It got greased very well, two zerks are missing and need to be replaced, I ordered them the day before from parts warehouse. I started it up but there was still this weird clanging. I went out and finished the last 1/3 of the field and made it one time around the second field before it broke again, 2 hours of run time only. The arm part now has a deformed head and bearing which means I need a new part. I am not a gracious mechanic. There were lots of explicatives used throughout the day and some blood letting. No more hay gets cut until I get a new part.
It was getting dark anyways.