Office project discovered Pocket Window!

Well no one came out this morning. I keep forgetting it’s Mother’s day, but really does that mean the spouse doesn’t have to do any work? This again shot down my plan to finish running all of the wire for power. I need to get this done so I can insulate and close up the walls but it is not really feasible to do alone, someone needs to be in the attic and someone on the ground floor to get the wire where it needs to go.

Instead I went out and started in on the freezer room. Since I had cleared out the leftover wood pieces yesterday I started by installing extra wood in the corners to nail the wall boards up on. this turns out to be three 2×4 for every corner to get the wood out far enough to be able to really use it. After I did the corners I really took a look at the window. I wanted to cover up the window but the longer I played with it and looked at it, I suddenly realized that it was a pocket window! It was designed to be pushed back into the wall to create an opening. It was just missing a couple of stabilizer points. I went and ripped up a 2×4 to get a 1” wide piece and used that to set the track. I predrilled everything so the narrow pieces would not split. I think I need to hit the window area with some clear caulk but I am going to have to be careful to not just splooge it everywhere. The window worked great after I was done and it can still be removed if needed for repairs and touch up paint.

I kept installing more wall dividers and supports and it really firmed up the outer wall. I didn’t realize how flimsy it felt until I was about halfway done and noticed that the outside wall would no longer move. This took a lot more 2x4s than I had counted on, by the time I was done I only had 8 left out of 30 and I still need to reframe the front door (approx 8 boards) and do three more corners, I will need to get at least 12 more 2×4 to get the job done. Once I had all the new wood in place I marked off the outlet spots and installed the boxes. I got all of the holes drilled for the wires to be inserted through. Mr Professional came out for two hours this afternoon and we got all of the wires installed! The only thing left is the 240V service for the heat pump but I need the California corners installed on one corner so I can drill through it to run the wire. While he was up in the attic waiting for me to label and run the wire into boxes he plugged up two more bird size holes in the attic. We are looking to stop the birds and bugs from getting into the attic this year. We pulled all of the extra insulation we had left over from our main house attic. Looking at it spread all around the room I don’t believe we have enough to do all of the walls. I was hoping I would not have to buy any insulation. Time will tell after we start putting it in the walls.

We have gotten 1.36” of rain this month, so for the first week of May. It is a crazy amount for us locally to see in such a short time frame.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s